Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 14, 2009

What Makes a Good Teacher

This is a lovely little quote from A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. Here's the scene: this teacher, Dr. Talc, is trying to interest a female student, who seems extremely interested in him and his teaching techniques. He tells her,

"I only wish to interest my students. Let's face it. The average student is not interested in the history of Celtic Britain. For that matter, neither am I. That's why, even if I do admit it myself, I always sense a sort of rapport in my classes." p. 233

In other words, be one with your students by hating to teach the topic as much as the students hate learning it. Classic.

On another note, Netflix sent me "Nashville" from the list. The most recent movie it has sent me so far, but it should be interesting . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment